PROGRAMME OF ACTIVITIES
Among the various events programmed for the commemoration of the V Centenary of the Birth of Andrés de Urdaneta we can find activities of both scientific and culturally entertaining content, a revised and extended reprint of José Ramón de Miguel’s book Urdaneta en su tiempo (The Times of Urdaneta), an exposition about the life of Andrés of Urdaneta, fairs and monographic festivities relating to Urdaneta, not to mention this site on the Internet.
All of these activities help provide a deeper insight into the life and times of this 16th Century navigator as well as making it possible to understand his influence on the Mexican, Portuguese, and Philippine cultures - instrumental to the life and works of Urdaneta.
From a scientific and academic point of view, the most relevant activities, presented by means of a multi-faceted presentation, are the following:
• A cycle of conferences and workshops about the life and times of Andrés de Urdaneta
To be held during 2007 and 2008
• A summer course at the University of the Basque Country about the role of Andrés de Urdaneta in history.
To be held during the summer of 2008
• An International Congress celebrating the V Centenary of the birth of Andrés de Urdaneta
To be held in November 2008
• The audience for the proposed events are expected to be of varied interests:
• University Professors and researchers
• University students
• Culturally interested tourists
• The general public